Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cancun: Enter & Day One

SUNDAY Enter Mexico:

James and I felt like little kids at Christmas time. We had a terrible sleep the night before because we were too excited to sleep. We wanted to open the presents under the tree now! Except in this situation there were no presents or a tree involved. I woke James every few minutes asking him if he could sleep, Or if he was awake too!? That probably didn't help his cause any. We ended up going to the airport a little earlier then we needed too, but ... that was better than sitting at home waiting to get to sit in the airport. MacKay dropped us off and we went through pretty quickly, well, it wasn't the fastest I had ever gone. It was holiday traffic still, but I didn't mind because it was expected. We met up with the Harri's and Sam in the airport and boarded the plane with them. Our flight departed from the Salt Lake airport early Sunday Morning. It took four hours and was a direct flight to Cancun. Our in-flight movie was, "Life As We Know It." Pretty funny movie. I don't know what it's rated, but on the flights ALL the movies have to be edited anyways. So, to me it was a PG-13 or less. It was good, so if it's not R-Rated I recommend it.

Customs to get into Cancun was PACKED! And when I say Packed, I mean that this HUGE room was filled over capacity. It was hot, humid, and a little stuffy. Our line seemed to never end, and my feet weren't the happiest campers at the time. It was a long wait in line, but we met up with another Liberty associate (Lindsey, a dude) who came in from Arizona. He's going into Law there. It wasn't that bad of a wait, just because we had people to talk too. James took off his bag-pack after a bit and asked me if his back was sweaty. I happily replied "Yup! It looks gross." And the people behind me laughed a little, but agreed. I attempted to dry him out and fan him after that. We FINALLY got through customs and then we found our ride to our resort and the shuttle took about an hour to get us there. We Left Salt Lake at 9am and entered our Hotel at 6pm Cancun time. It was a long day. But we somehow had energy to bounce around the resort and check everything out after we ate and got in our rooms.

Did I mention, that this was an ALL INCLUSIVE Resort!!!? Because I think that, that little bit of information is probably very important for you to understand the wonderfulness of the entire week. ALL INCLUSIVE!!! James and I sat in the Hammocks everyday, whenever we just wanted to get off our feet for a min. or two. They were so relaxing. We even took naps one evening. There are pools right next to the beach along the entire resort (Which was a huge resort by the way). The pools were colder than the actual Ocean! So, ... we played in the Ocean more often because of that. The night we arrived I had my First Atlantic Ocean Experience! We ran out in the pitch black and touched the water. James met up with Steve and they swam in it, but Allison and I let them do the swimming in the dark for us. Besides, I still see JAWS when I see the Atlantic. The first night we arrived we did a little self-tour of the resort. We discovered a bus that would take you from section to section of the resort. We lived in the "Tropical" Portion. Also know as the middle resort. Meaning, we could eat at our buffet and the lower resorts buffet (where all of the other Liberty people stayed). And the highest one the "Palace" got the opportunity to eat at ANY restaurant.

MONDAY Day one:
There are a variety of activities that we were able to do at the resort for free. Windsurfing was the first activity that we decided to try. We received free lessons and then ventured out on our own. It was harder than it looked, but it was really fun. I think one of the hardest parts was the fact that we were standing on coral in order to get onto the board. That stuff isn't the most friendly thing to ever have met your feet. And every time
I fell I made sure to fall on my back, because my feet would have been pretty upset with me, had I decided to land on them. So to save myself from feet hate, I landed backwards. Other than that, pulling the sail out of the water was a little tough, but the only thing I had a difficult time with was to stay going after I got it up and went 3 feet. Out of our little group I did the best. And when I say I did the best I mean I got my sail up the most and kept it up the longest. But the longest doesn't mean it was all that long.
We took advantage of the pool, AND the swim up Bar. We had Mock-tails all week long, every day, like 20 times a day! It was delicious, kept us hydrated and gave us a little sugar too. There was I think 3 times on the entire trip the waiter brought us Mock-tails with Alcohol, but we could smell it. (We sniffed our drinks before we drank). So we'd just send it back for a new one. We didn't spend as much time in the pool as we did the Ocean. Mostly because it was colder in the pool. Surprisingly, for the first time in my life, the Ocean was warmer than the pool! That evening, before the sun set on our first full day in Cancun, we played a little beach V-Ball with some of our Liberty Groupies. A few other random people stood at the side and would rotate in on the serve. I guess they were excited to see a group playing, so they could play too. Then after that we went home and cleaned up for dinner and then after dinner each night at 9:30 both theatres at the Resort would have a performance. (Outdoor Theatre (Stage with roof and bar).

This night one of the theatres was showing a Circus (Acrobats). It was a wonderful performance of skill. Great balance and muscle strength. It was well done. The best performance was after most had gone and the show had ended. Sam Noel, a Liberty Sells-man. Was balancing between two chairs that Steve and James were sitting in and he was lifting himself into the air like the acrobats were. Attempting to mimic their movements. One hand on James' chair, and one on the back of Steve's. He did a full handstand. After he was done he stood on the ground speaking with everyone. All of us then hear people across the way near the bar egging Sam on. "Do it again!" They yelled to him. So ... like any boy, he got excited at the attention and proceeded to again, do his chair handstand. As he came to the top, he balanced for a moment, then it looked as if he wanted to dismount, but couldn't because he began to turn over the wrong direction and started to descend to the floor back first. Instead of hitting the floor he hit the table next to me, nearly missing me and busted the table!! The entire top of it flung off leaving the legs to stand connected and alone. It was the funniest thing ever! Everyone burst into laughter and I laughed so hard I cried. Sam wasn't too embarrassed because he figured that the people who egged him on assumed that he was probably intoxicated. (Which he wasn't because almost every person on our Liberty Trip is LDS). But it gave him comfort all the same. Overall, the first day was Splendid. And truly a dream come true.



No comments: