Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How to Be Lovely

James and I went to another couples home in the ward and I noticed she had many Audrey Hepburn books, which I LOVE AUDREY! I have seen books on her before in Chapters, I just never actually bought them because, well, I'm poor. But I really did want to read some of them. I asked if I could borrow one, and was told yes. The book I borrowed was by Melissa Hellstern entitled, "How to Be Lovely." Before I give the book back, I wanted to document a few of my favorite quotes of Audrey from it. She is such a positive and uplifting person, it's hard Not to feel inspired when you read even a little bit about her life.

Audrey spent a lot of her time at her home in Switzerland. She said of it;
"What I always wanted, and what I still want, is to create a warm and loving atmosphere for those I care about - my family and friends."
"It's the flowers you choose, the music you play, the smile you have waiting. I want it to be gay and cheerful, a haven in this troubled world."
Other things she said;
"The most important thing is to enjoy life-to be happy-that's all that matters."
"I heard a definition once: Happiness is health and a short memory! I wish I'd invented it, because it is very true."
"Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come. . . . The past, I think has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future."
"Not to live for the day, that would be materialistic - but to treasure the day. I realize that most of us live on the skin - on the surface - without appreciating just how wonderful it is simply to be alive at all."
"I could always hear my mother's voice saying, 'Be on time,' and 'Remember to think of others first,' and 'Don't talk a lot about yourself. You are not interesting. It's the others that matter.' "
"It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so don't fuss, dear; get on with it."
"I didn't expect anything much and because of that I'm the least bitter woman I know."
"My greatest ambition is to have a career without becoming a career woman."
"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." -Maya Angelou
20090111194809"You have to be as relaxed as possible about food and fitness and the rest of it, or you'll be a slave to your beauty habits . . . You may have great skin, but you'll become a robot."
"I'm not the one who has rules. I am not a person who must have so many hours of sleep so that my skin will look good. I love to walk, so I do get lots of air . . . lots and lots of oxygen. And I sleep marvelously well. I need eight or nine hours to make me completely happy; otherwise I long for a nap.But if I don't have one, it doesn't destroy me. I'm very relaxed and unmethodical about myself. I do what I have to do and let it go at that."
"When you have had the strength to survive starvation, you never again send back a steak simply because it's under-done."
"I seem to have a sort of built-in leveler. I've a tremendously good appetite - I eat everything, everything - but as soon as I'm satisfied, a little hatch closes and I stop."
"I eat very well and I eat everything that I want."
"I'm not a snacker. But I eat awfully well at meals and all the things I like."

"I'm grateful for everything that's green. When I didn't have a dime, I held the dream of one day having my own orchard with fruit trees and a place to grow vegetables."
I love Audrey, And I loved these quotes. I hope you can gain from them as I have.
Love Always,
Mrs. Fray Fray

No comments: